Fat Louie, a Duck With Gout, a Parable about Fowl Health Care

Louie was an old fat fluffy white duck.

He lived in a small private lake east of Atlanta. The lake was man made as an amenity for a small  condominium community of two story rustic wooden apartments, known as Snapfinger Woods Estates.

The Lake was appropriately named Snapfinger Woods Lake.

At one time, when Louie was younger, he was the head duck of the small flock which claimed Snapfinger Lake as their year round private residence.

During the Spring, the flock consisted of  12 – 14 adults, and would expand to 18 – 20 by the end of  Summer.As the young left during the Fall and Winter, the flock would settle back to the core members, looking to Louie for leadership and content with the easy life of  a controlled environment.

The human residents of Snapfinger Woods Apartments would regularly feed Louie and his flock. Children loved to throw bread and cake crumbs into the lake, laughing with glee as Louie and his companions raced to be the first to reach and consume the morsels.

Louie being the lead duck, was the strongest and fastest swimmer of the flock.

When the humans threw food into the lake, Louie was always the first to get there, and invariably, he would eat and eat and eat. Only when he was stuffed would the rest of the flock get a chance at the bread , cake, and other delicacies offered.

Louie loved to show off how fast he could swim.

As the seasons passed, Louie found himself growing older and fatter. He was consuming increasingly large quantities of human food, and his once sleek muscular body began to expand, turning to duck flab.

One morning Louie woke from a deep sleep, his right foot pulsing with a dull throb. He tried to ignore the pain, quacking loudly to let his human providers know  that he was awake and hungry.

He moved his webbed feet, as ducks do, to begin swimming, while flapping his wings for speed and stability.

The pain in his foot intensified to a steady throb, and Louie was forced to stop trying to swim.

The other drakes, noticing Louie’s plight, began quacking and swimming  in circles. When the humans threw food, they quickly chased after the breakfast, leaving Louie sitting dead in the water.

One human began throwing bread towards Louie  , attempting to help him get a chance at some food.

He slowly and painfully paddled towards the bread, but the other ducks seeing his movement, turned and headed towards the floating food.

First one  and then another of the young males bumped into Louie, roughly shoving him out of the way.

“Quack, Quack, you’re damaged. ” They shouted,” You get no food. Only healthy ducks get to stay with the flock.”

” Why?” croaked Louie, feeling hungry and somewhat frightened. ” I’m lead duck.”

” Not anymore,” They quacked in unison,” Damaged ducks can not be part of the flock, Haven’t you ever heard of Charles Darwin, or Survival of the fittest?  ”

Sadly, for the first time in his life, Louie felt alienated and alone.He had become a victim of his position of lead duck, He had been too good and too competitive. He had always  been first to get fed, earning human applause and rewards for being the best and the fastest.

Sadly, now, his reward for being  more successful and competitive  was a very painful case of the gout.

The other ducks had always resented his success.

Louie was forced to leave the pond which he had ruled for most of his life.

Louie was faced with the most humiliating punishment possible  for being a successful duck. He was banished from the flock and forced to live on land, painfully waddling along the edge of the lake, his gout swollen right foot, a symbol of his fall from mediocrity.

He went to the next flock meeting of the Greater Atlanta Duck Association(GADA) to ask for help.

A large Gander, with a very long neck and narrow  limpid brown eyes looked  down his beak at the obviosly uncomfortable Louie, balancing unsteadily on his good leg.

“Stand still and lower your eyes when addressing  GADA. ” He huffed with disdain. ” We have very limited resources to cure injured ducks, especially older fat ducks such as yourself.”

He paused, looking very annoyed that Louie had had the nerve to ask the council for a cure, “We find you too old. The cure will be too expensive and must be saved  for more worthy younger members of the flock. Henceforth you will be known as Fat Louie, and will be forced to live out the rest of your days on land, so as not to contaminate or hinder the rest of the masses.”

Fat Louie lived for several more seasons, largely at the largess of the human residents of Snapfinger Woods Apartments. His wealth and position was spread among the others in his pond.

Once again the system had worked. The good of the many superceded the good of the individual.

When the humans took pity on Fat Louie and continued to feed him on land, many of them lost interest in the ducks still in the pond and ceased feeding them.

A human recession helped to bankrupt Snapfinger Estates, and  the complex was sold to a developer who drained the pond and built a small office building and parking lot where the pond had been.

Fat Louie continued to live on dry land and the secretaries took pity on the fat duck with the bad right foot, and continued to feed him cakes and cookies, until his death from escalated cholesterol several summers later.

Moral of the Story: Sometimes being the best and the fastest gets you promoted to your own exclusive club.

And sometimes it’s a pain in the  . a..  foot.

No Responses to “Fat Louie, a Duck With Gout, a Parable about Fowl Health Care”

1. health says:

I really liked your blog!

2. Good morning, Im having a hard time subscribing to your feed on my reader. It says unsupported format. You might want to check it.

3. Nakia Cuzzi says:

I lately came across your blog and have been learning along. I thought I would leave my first remark. I don

4. emt training says:

I’ve recently started a blog, the information you provide on this site has helped me tremendously. Thank you for all of your time & work.

5. Dave says:

I should really be workingon creating articles

6. Gout says:

Gout…

[…]Fat Louie, a Duck With Gout, a Parable about Fowl Health Care « The Adventures of Charlie Champion[…]…

7. I’m impressed, I must say. Really hardly ever do I encounter a blog that’s both educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you have got hit the nail on the head. Your concept is outstanding; the issue is something that not sufficient individuals are speaking intelligently about. I’m very comfortable that I stumbled across this in my seek for one thing referring to this.

8. Rich says:

Webmaster, I am the admin at SEOPlugins.org. We profile SEO Plugins for WordPress blogs for on-site and off-site SEO. I’d like to invite you to check out our recent profile for a pretty amazing plugin which can double or triple traffic for a Worpdress blog and we just posted a video showing the plugin in action. You can delete this comment, I didn’t want to comment on your blog, just wanted to drop you a personal message. Thanks, Rich

9. Exercise is for better diet, burning fat to lose weight,
    or for an endless list of therapeutic or recreational activities.
    I have come to expect and look forward to all of
    her emails as they are packed full of helpful hints and
    ideas and also the occasional motivational tip.

10. private aircraft charter corporate jet hire private aircraft private chartered flights charter jet rental charter private flight

11. Kristian says:

Helpful info. Fortunate me I discovered your web site by accident, and I’m stunned why this accident did not took place in advance! I bookmarked it.

12. Absolutely composed subject material, thank you for information. “The bravest thing you can do when you are not brave is to profess courage and act accordingly.” by Corra Harris.

13. I have learn some good stuff here. Certainly worth bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how so much effort you put to create any such fantastic informative website.

14. スキムボード 通販 says:

Some really good articles on this internet site, thanks for contribution. “A conservative is a man who sits and thinks, mostly sits.” by Woodrow Wilson.
    <a href="http://www.res-online.biz/ス

15. Je ne sais votre taille. Ce sont vraiment difficiles 脿 trouver maintenant. J’ai v茅rifi茅 les magasins en ligne tels que la th茅orie, Diesel, Levi Wrangler, Abercrombie, Gap, Banana Republic, Urban Outfitters, Polo, Tommy Hilfiger, Target, Saks, Bloomingdales, Norstrom, Hollister, Macy bleu Fly, Amazon etc Ils portent beaucoup de reg veste en jean 脿 100%, mais pas de denim stretch. Cependant, j’ai trouv茅 un de Banana Republic sur Ebay Taille Med. Tu ferais mieux agir sur elle peu de temps avant l’expiration du d茅lai. Si par hasard vous vivez 脿 New York ou du New Jersey, vous pourriez vouloir v茅rifier Century 21. Ils portent un grand inventaire de v锚tements des saisons pr茅c茅dentes et vous pourriez 锚tre en mesure de trouver la veste en jean stretch vous recherchez. J’ai beaucoup d’autres ventes aux ench猫res en cours d’ex茅cution donc s’il vous pla卯t les v茅rifier comme j’aimerais combiner des prix d’exp茅dition pour vous. A peu de choses: 1. N’offrez pas si vous l’intention de payer pour l’article si gagn茅. 2. Me contacter pour toutes questions que vous pourriez avoir. 3. Paypal seulement pour le paiement. 4. Je vais exp茅dier 脿 d’autres pays, mais s’il vous pla卯t me contacter avant d’ench茅rir pour confirmer le prix d’exp茅dition. 5. Je ne crois pas que la vente aux ench猫res est termin茅e jusqu’脿 ce que vous le client re莽oit votre article. Si vous n’锚tes pas compl猫tement satisfait de votre achat s’il vous pla卯t contactez-moi imm茅diatement. Maintenant pour l’article: Point de vente: Banana Republic Stretch Jean Jacket Taille: Med Couleur: Marine fonc茅 Description: 4 poches sur le devant de la veste. Boutons dans le dos. Occasion ou Nouveau: BRAND NEW

16. The stories I saw today were about older RV’s that
    were completely destroyed by fire, one was definitely a propane fire and the other is still under investigation. The next is
    to summon a reputable car towing firm that will provide you with excellent services without giving any problems that may just aggravate your situation. The fact
    that it stored my good friend secure obtained me convinced
    that it would do the same for me.

Here is my site; Towing Software