The Straw That Broke the Camel’s Back, a Parable about An Economy in Distress

There is an old Middle Eastern tale about a poor farmer.

He lived in a  mud and straw hut , with his wife and three teenage daughters.

He owned 3 old camels .

Twice a year, at the Spring and Fall solstice,  he would pack the camels with large bags of straw and wheat.

He would kiss his wife , hug his three daughters, and then he would set off  for the 10 hour trek to the market at Dandalia.

This was a very important trip for the poor farmer, who  hoped to sell his produce and earn enough money to keep his family alive for the next 6 months.

Upon arriving in Dandalia , he would join with farmers from all over the Province . He would then set up his assigned booth, and displaying his wares.

The market would last for two full days,.The crowds were boisterous and the din was deafening. By the end of the second day, the farmer would count up his meager earnings, repack the now  empty hemp  sacks, and  tie his three camels into a caravan.

The return trip home was always much quicker, because he and Gabor, his young helper could ride the tired old camels.

One morning the farmer awoke and  found his two neighbors waiting for him in the front yard.

They offered the farmer  bags of straw as additional produce  to bring to market.He could keep 50% of the profits for his trouble.

The farmer was excited. With the extra money he could keep his family secure and comfortable.

The day before Spring Solstice was  cool, with a brisk gusty wind.

The farmer brought out the three old camels, and proceeded to load his bags of straw,

He looked at the camels. They were  pretty well loaded, but he was determined to pick up the additional freight from his neighbors.

He arrived at Abmar’s yard and found 8 additional bags waiting for him.

The camels were  loaded with much argument and posturing.

The farmer and the heavily burdened camels walked to  Fardeneen’s yard

There he found Fardeen and five additional bags of straw.

Loading the camels required a ladder, a makeshift pulley assembly and also a great deal of  discussion.

Each camel in turn staggered as the additional burdem was placed on its back. Their knees trembled, and they shifted unsteadily.

“Well,” said the farmer,” I guess I’ll be on my way.” He shook his head,” I don’t think these camels could carry another ounce of freight.”

Just then, Fardeen’s 12 year old daughter, came running out of the house. She was holding a large straw doll wrapped in a scrap of pale grey cloth. It was 2 feet tall, and had been made by weaving stalks of straw together, then dyed and clothed.

“Daddy, Daddy” she gasped, her arms wrapped around the doll’s body to hold it steady. ” You promised I could sell Esmerelda at the Solstice Market. I need the money to buy cloth for my new clothes.Mother says I am turning into a little woman, and need larger more appropriate dresses.”

He turned to the farmer,” Well ? Will you take  the doll and sell it for my Mindlee?”

The farmer looked at the three ,seemingly unsteady , overburdned camels.” I’m afraid to add any further burder to these camels. They are important to feed my family. I don’t think they can carry another thing.”

Fardeen looked at the farmer. “Come on Hamoken, share the wealth. Give my little girl a chance to get some pretty cloth for dresses. We can’t afford the cloth unless she sells the doll.”

He shook his head. ” I don’t want to disappoint  you but these camels are carrying the burden for our entire community. Let someone else share his wealth. They can’t carry any additional burden.They’ll break down.”

The farmer looked up, and spied the local tax collector approaching from the East.

Tax collector Sninndl looked at farmer Hamoken and smiled. ” I am here on the Governors business. As I’m sure you know, the irrigation project failed due to sabotage from our enemies. We are now  faced with many new poor and starving residents.

It is the Governor’s decree, that a 25% tax will be placed on all new business above last years totals.

New business is to buy you a  luxury .That new wealth should be shared with those citizens who have the need.”

The farmer looked distressed.” After the extra cost for a slower trip and paying for the extra market space necessary, it will not be worth anything to carry all this extra weight.”

The tax collector sneered.” The Governor has already been told of this extra tax on your load in our report to his scribes. You will have to carry the load to earn the money to pay the tax, even if it does not pay you very much.”

The farmer’s shoulders sagged. He knew he was stuck. He was being forced to do all this extra work .

He turned to Mindlee and gave her a half smile.” Come on, give me your straw man, if we can carry all these taxes for government giveaways, we can carry a little more straw. After all, straw is so lite.”

He took the straw doll, and placed it carefully on  top of the lead camel’s pile of straw filled bags.

The camel turned its head toward the farmer, and gave him a long sad look.

They heard a crack, the camels back broke, and it keeled over…dead.

The moral of the story.Too much taxation is a backbreaker

TOO MUCH TAXATION IS A BACKBREAKER

No Responses to “The Straw That Broke the Camel’s Back, a Parable about An Economy in Distress”

1. Clemento says:

I liked it. So much useful material. I read with great interest.

2. Drew says:

I don’t think your taxes are being raised though…are they? Unless (and I could be wrong) Bush’s tax break has ended and rather than renew it, the current administration and Congress have decided to let it expire and go back to what it was 10 years ago?
    And if that’s the case…perhaps we can go back to having a surplus like we did under Clinton, rather than the HUGE deficit we had under Bush, and the also huge deficit under Obama, due to all of the stimulus bills.

• champion says:

Taxes have gone up overtly and covertley, the governments are starving for money, fees , tolls, surcharges are all over, there is a commuter tax for all my employees even none of them use mass transit, there is an oil use surcharge for heating oil on fed, state , and L B each getting an increase, Bush tax is expiring, but the real heavy duty tax is all the paper money they are printing, they delete the currency and so your dollars are worth less, t

that shows up in a million ways, the price of oil, quoted in dollars is up 20% in last 4 months, that is a result of too much paper, and the dollar being devalued, expensive oil – expensive gas, cost more to deliver food, , building supplies and everything you use so all become more expensive thus a hidden tax,
      by the way sadly, you aint seen nothin yet, the deficit spending is just beginning and the government is more and more desperate
      there are surcharges coming on everything

3. Cornelius says:

Interesting and informative. But will you write about this one more?

4. Arsento says:

Valuable thoughts and advices. I read your topic with great interest.

5. payment loan says:

Appreciation pro this in turn. I think someone need around help like this.

6. Incredibly excellent desgin of one’s web site. It’s person and compares for a posts. Don´t give up and make your own factor!

7. I work for a new online community institution and find the content material pretty handy for work we are managing.terrific work and look forwards to more website posts

8. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I enjoy seeing websites that understand the value of providing a prime resource for free. I truly loved reading your post. Thanks!

9. Terrific work! This is the type of information that should be shared around the web. Shame on the search engines for not positioning this post higher!

10. Thank you, I have recently been searching for information about this topic for ages and yours is the best I have discovered so far.

11. Beneficial info and excellent design you got here! I want to thank you for sharing your ideas and putting the time into the stuff you publish! Great work!

12. Rich says:

Webmaster, I am the admin at SEOPlugins.org. We profile SEO Plugins for WordPress blogs for on-site and off-site SEO. I’d like to invite you to check out our recent profile for a pretty amazing plugin which can double or triple traffic for a Worpdress blog. You can delete this comment, I didn’t want to comment on your blog, just wanted to drop you a personal message. Thanks, Rich

13. hemp oil says:

I’m now not sure the place you’re getting your information, however great topic. I must spend some time learning much more or understanding more. Thanks for fantastic information I was on the lookout for this info for my mission.

14. Rich says:

Webmaster, I am the admin at SEOPlugins.org. We profile SEO Plugins for WordPress blogs for on-site and off-site SEO. I’d like to invite you to check out our recent profile for a pretty amazing plugin which can double or triple traffic for a Worpdress blog and we just posted a video showing the plugin in action. You can delete this comment, I didn’t want to comment on your blog, just wanted to drop you a personal message. Thanks, Rich

15. Rodrick says:

I see a lot of interesting content on your blog.
    You have to spend a lot of time writing, i know how to save you a lot of time, there is a tool that creates unique, google friendly articles in couple of minutes,
    just type in google – k2 unlimited content